Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

But hey, this is supposed to be about writing...

...so I thought I'd post a poem I wrote waaay back when I was in the army, stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. My mother brought a stack of old stuff I'd written when she came to stay.

Fayetteville, N.C.

When the simple gray sky hunkers down
over this painted, frozen smile military town
and lights come on as day at last gives up

this Friday, as fresh faced soldiers drink away
their mid-month pay and ogle topless dancers,
I want to say I know, but I don't have the answers.

The elderly are drinking tea at the Haymont Grill
and ordering from the daily specials; down the hill
a mile away at Rick's the girls are working, flesh

rubbing up against the rent money.


Okay, class, discuss symbolism, theme and meter. You have 30 minutes. Please note this may be on the test.

No comments: