Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Who we are

(Note: when I first posted 'I'm that guy', I didn't realize it would strike a chord with so many people. For all those who have taken the time to tell us who they are, I'd like to thank you. At times funny, moving, bitter and sad, it has underscored the fact that we're all human, with amazingly different experiences that prove just how similar we all really are. I'f I've missed anyone, feel free to email me at mercermachine@gmail.com with a link and I'll add you to who we are; if you've been inspired by this to tell us who you are, let me know as well.)




We're that blogger

I’m the one you said would end up a chain-smoking, loveless, alcoholic lawyer. I’m the guy who sometimes believes you. I’m the guy you once tried to teach ballet to after a couple of drinks.

I’m the girl who squeezed your hand when they talked about boys. Who laughed when they asked you which guy you liked, and even more when they realized there was none. I’m the girl who didn’t believe a single word you said, during, before or after, and still don’t: yet I let you hold my hand on the way to the airport.

It was me, all of it; walking past dead animals and feeling sorry for the poor sods; being asked to collect donations and feeling like I was holding a tin of filthy greed...

I’m the girl who stopped going to church, yet prays frantically whenever I’m scared out of my wits. I’m the girl that hates iced lemon tea and red bull (both together and separately). I am the girl who wrote you 17 letters in one day, yet never had the guts to send a single one.
I am the girl that’s scared of the dark.

I am the girl whose wallet you stole. I’m the girl who bathed in 2 minutes flat because there just might have been sharks waiting to pour down through the shower head.

i'm that girl who has never told anyone about her past and yet wrote it down here for the whole world to see.

I'm the only girl who had no guidance for nine and a half weeks, and then I became the girl who had the last half week of her attachment in Hell instead of an accountancy firm. I'm also the one you gave a limp handshake to the first day of work. I'm now the girl who will shout FUCK YOU the next time I see you.

I'm that guy who finally learn that thoughts are waves and i can relate to trees and plants.

I am the girl who did not understand why barbie looked so "perfect", when there is a flaw in everyone. so I pulled out my magic marker and gave all my barbies birthmarks. EVERYONE has a flaw now.

I’m the girl you called the sweetest girl around. I’m the one who told you that you need to meet more girls.

I'm the cheerleader who listens to Nine Inch Nails. I'm the debate team captain who goes to Detroit Red Wings hockey games. I'm the writer who just can't seem to make the words flow right.

I am the guy who pushed when the sign said pull.

i am the girl who procrastinates over my thesis, i am the girl who belts out sad emo love songs in honor of you when i am alone in my room.

i am the girl who still thinks of you every single motherfucking day.

i am the girl whose hand you loved holding. i am the girl who grinned in the cab when you hung up the phone on her just to have supper with me. i am the girl who lied to you through my teeth.

I'm the guy who recently discovered that happiness is one part decision and two parts caffeine, the one who treats coffee like a drug, taking it once a day, after meal, when required. I'm the guy in the military who didn't greet you (at first) because I'm indignant about having to practice what is acutely incongruent - "mandatory respect", but is beginning to cave because fear outweighs principles.

I'm that boy who sat beside you, threw ants into your hair to get your attention. That boy who waited 7 years till he enlisted and you engaged.

I'm that girl who once loved you. I'm that girl who erased you.

I'm the girl who once dreamt of marrying Neil Gaiman and now thinks she'll never get married at all.
I’m the boy who turned up three and a half hours late for our first official date. To this day I’m still amazed that you waited.


I am the baby you almost gave away. Why? Because you were too young to get married.

i'm the one who has the excitement in her eyes. it was me that was feckless, the one that crashed your car and spent the rest of the day making up lies you could tell your mum so i could get away scot free.

I'm the girl you walked past once, but was just another face in the crowd.

I am nothing...

I’m the guy who bought a pregnancy test kit, and stuffed it in his sidepocket (it stuck out conspicuosly), sat at a bar alone, and drank until he threw up. I’m the guy who likes rainy weather, and the smell of christmas. I am the guy who uses repeat-1 more often than any other mode in iTunes. I am the guy who lights incense cones when the evening is perfect. I am the guy who cuddles underneath the sheets.

I’m the guy who told the old man my name is Johnny when it’s not, because it came naturally to me.

And i'm that one who is walking around in circles, apparently love only lurks around corners...

I’m the one who fed your dog ice cream. I am the girl can do handstands and backflips. I am the girl who laughs when she’s nervous. I’m the girl who broke your nose.

I am the girl you accused of being “not Asian enough”.

I’m the girl who always asks for more mayonnaise. I am the girl who fell asleep on your couch. I’m the girl who set fire to her towel by accident.

I'm the girl who sat up the whole night crying because I didn't know if you were okay and i couldn't reach you. I'm the girl who laughed so hard when you sang Green Eyes and then leaned over and kissed you for it.

I'm the girl who waited till you woke up on the bus and then told you that you had the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen.

I'm the girl who hates beer so gets drunk on other stuff. I'm the girl who passed out in front of Zouk and had to be carried around into the waiting car and woke up remembering none of it. I'm the girl who passed out on your couch once and puked into the pail you put at the side and that was before I fell so deeply in love with you. I'm the girl no one really takes seriously so she smiles and pretends that everything is fine so one no knows how much she truly hurts.

I am the boyfriend who stayed as late at your place as he possibly could, and ran after the very last Number 8 bus, so that he could take the very last Number 51, so that he did not have to take a cab or pay the midnight surcharge.

I am that guy that had crushes with you, you, you, you and you.

I'm the one who breaks my promises, but abides by those i've never mentioned to you before. I am the girl who thinks that relationships should have obituaries, so everyone knows what happened in a succinct line or two.

I’m the girl who sat on the window still and waved to passers-by below. I’m the girl who sat on the kitchen table as you held her close, picked her up and fell together in a heap onto a matteress on the floor.

I'm the guy who thought it was so darn cool you are writing a play. Even if it was for the Hainanese clan. I'm the guy who took your money off your bag. I'm the guy who spends too much and still doesn't know how to spend less or save more. I'm the guy who deliberately left coins under the carpet so one day we will never be bankrupt.

I am the little girl who laughed excitedly and took the bus alone on the first day of school.

I am the little girl who turned around and sobbed inconsolably into her mother’s arms on the second day of school when she realised that boarding the bus alone was not a one-off thing but for the rest of her life.

I’m the one who threw up in (near, around) your recliner, and I’m the one who chopped down the evergreen in your front lawn. I’m also the one who changes your diapers at four in the morning, and the guy who sits with you while you take your shower for a month after you watch a scary movie.



Yeah, we’re that person. Who are you?






25 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're those people, aren't we. reading all of them it's somewhat comforting to know that we all have relatively similar experiences. :)

potpourri said...

Very nice indeed. Kudos to you for taking the effort to do this wonderful collection. Stumbled upon some lovely reads via this entry. :)

Unknown said...

And you're the one who makes the effort to bring bloggers together. Good job!

Anonymous said...

i'm the girl who feels that it's pointless sometimes - we fight, we live like we've never died, we die like we've never lived. the one that wonders every single day whether i'll ever get a boyfriend. the one who sacrificed so many stupid shit just to catch one glimpse, 2 years ago. the one that wants to be a police, a designer, an author, an artist, a girlfriend, a superhero, all at the same time. the one that needs to lose 30 KG or she'll die. the one that never trusts too easily. the one that breaks that trust too easily. the one who used to think she was special and unique. tje one that's still searching for you after 8 long years, even though it might be a disappointment.




as anonymous as it can get.

Anonymous said...

I'm the guy who wanna thank you for putting them all together! =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for starting this. :) And thanks for bringing it all together.

The Facetious Cap'n Intrepid said...

This is great...

Uncle Su said...

i dont care, i'm starting with my version now!

inspiring!

kudos man!

Unknown said...

i have my own version! :) its a terrific idea.

Anonymous said...

amazing effort. some entires really touched me.

sitenoise said...

I'm the guy who doesn't understand trackbacks, thinks he uses a service that doesn't support them, but wants to play too ...

Wondering Allowed

Unknown said...

Thank you for starting this. It was brilliant.

nadnut said...

thanks... somehow, doing this has made me feel better.

mrdes said...

Yo, this is cool, thanks for the smiles you have put on my face:)

Han said...

I'm here.

Anthony said...

Thanks Mercer Machine!

corinna. said...

im the girl who wants to say that it was a novel idea for you to start this! (:

PC said...

we become what our experiences make us, don't we? and in the time it takes to finish the entry, our lives literally flash before our eyes. i certainly know it happened to me. oh... must have missed a damn good party last night. :o)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this.

Huda said...

wow. this is an amzaing collection! (:

grace said...

hey, start a a blog for this leh, think postsecrets. www.iam.blogspot.com? it's not taken YET. lol. way cool.

Unknown said...

Thanks for starting this.

Anonymous said...

I love this entry!

Samsung said...

I had never read this before, but I really liked it. People are amazing.

Jae

Yan Lim said...

whoa, I love this entry.
Keep it up man!