Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Writing update

I've got too many unfinished stories. Far too many.

Now my normal style is to do a little on this one, do a little on that one as the mood strikes, but that just isn't working. More story ideas keep popping up, and nothing gets done. I need to finish something, at least to first draft status. So I'm limiting my writing to three WIPs; one novel and two short stories:


  • The Blade That Whispers Hate (BWH) is a prequel to Thagoth. I still have some plotting issues there and large portions of the middle of the book are terra incognita, but I know how it begins and I know how it ends, and it's somewhere between a third of the way and halfway done, so this is the novel I've decided to concentrate on.
  • 'The Sailor's Wife' is a rarity in that I knew from the beginning how it would end, and from a writing perspective, the whole story is just a setup for that ending. Knowing where I'm going makes the writing go faster, so this is short story #1 for when I need a break from BWH. 
  • 'All My Enemies' is a troublesome story, writing-wise. It is, as you might guess, a revenge tale. That's not the problem. The problem is, while I know the theme, and even the main character's arc, I'm having fits about what point of view to write it in.
I'm giving myself two months to finish these- in the case of BWH, to finish the 1st draft. This may be a little optimistic, considering my time constraints, but if I keep waking up before 5 am...

10 comments:

Isabella said...

It's more that Phil or I have. :P

Meaghan said...

Oh man, I don't know how you do that. I'm having a really hard time writing two WIPs at once... in fact it's just NOT happening right now. Also, I have this embarrassing problem of being totally incapable of writing a short story... I really need to work on that.

Michael McClung said...

Well I don't know how you write 6k words in less than 4 hours ;)

Meaghan said...

Perseverance and possession, my friend... Though I guess it kind of evens itself out because I usually only work on my WIP every other day!

expat@large said...

The posts I have been putting up on my blog lately are really first drafts for pieces from 'Reserved Seats', working title for my pathetically and semi-permanently unwritten WIP.

It's being at home, I just can't seem to get going at home. As Izzy knows, I need someone around me to ignore, for writing or reading... At Spinellis now, no problem writing. It's weird.

Michael McClung said...

I'm the same way. Have to write among strangers. Or in bed with llittle people asleep next to me, kicking me and flopping their arms on the keyboard.

Deborah Walker said...

oh those ideas. They just keep a'coming. Give me half an hour on Wikipedia and I'll give you another half a dozen. This is a good thing. But we gottta knuckle down, tame them beauties into subbable work. Tiresome work, I know it.

Michael McClung said...

I blame the characters. So many interesting people in my head...

Unknown said...

The visit was useful. Content was really very informative. From www.rightbooks.in

Unknown said...

The visit was useful. Content was really very informative. From www.rightbooks.in