Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I did it

I confess. I did it.

Lord knows I had the means, the motive and the opportunity. The only real surprise here is that it took me so long to give in to the urge. Was it cowardice that kept me from committing the deed? No, not that at least. Was it some tattered vestige of morals? Of pride? Maybe. I can't really say. And the act itself is a blur, now that it's done.

I reviewed my own damn book on Amazon.

Ah, but there are mitigating circumstances--aren't there always?


  • First, in my own defense, I did not use a sock puppet. I boldly proclaimed in my review that I was the author, and detailed sufficiently in my own view at least the reason for a self review. How can a book that is 8 years old not have received a single review? It's maddening!
  • Second, I did not give myself five stars. In my own view, it did not rate that, and I did not pretend it did.
  • Third, did I mention that the book has gone eight years without a review?
Lock me up. Put me in the stocks. Throw rotten tomatoes at me. I don't care, and I'm not sorry.

It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul.
                                     Let me not name it to you, you chaste stars! 

6 comments:

Claudia Zurc said...

Hi Michael,
I applaud you for your honesty and your courage. I don't see anything wrong with reviewing your own book. Hey if nobody is willing to do it, why not you? I guess this is another aspect of writing we sometimes have to deal with. Who says writing it's easy? (or the industry for that matter) ;)

Michael McClung said...

Hey Claudia!

I'm not sure what's more difficult, the writing or what happens after. After I write something satisfying, there's about a day and a half where I walk around in a sort of writer's state of grace. Before and after? Uh, not so much. :)

anthony said...

Can't wait for the next two stories to come out...and even more the next full novel.

Self criticism is easy. It just becomes really hard when you put it in a public space, so "thumbs up" for having the courage.

Michael McClung said...

Hi Anthony!

It's coming. Can't tell you exactly when, but it's coming :)

bingsy said...

I'm pretty certain that if spirits are allowed regrets, that Randy regrets not putting up a review while he could. I just repurchased it - as the last time I bought it, well I just don't even know where that computer is. I'll try to review it as eloquently as Randy would have.

Michael McClung said...

Thanks, bingsy. I never expected Randy to review it, somehow. I was always afraid he didn't like it much, to be honest. But really, I have a hard time believing anyone when they say nice things abut my writing ;)