Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2016: What to expect, writing-wise, from moi

First off, there are two more covers to reveal in the Amra Thetys reboot, but instead of showing them here, I'll just direct you Ragnarok's Amra Thetys page. Luscious, ain't they?

So in 2016, Book 4 of the Amra Thetys series will be released (The Thief Who Wasn't There), probably sometime around September. The other books will be re-released March-ish? When I know, I'll certainly tell you!

In addition, here's what I've got on my plate, and hope to accomplish in 2016:

I've already started on the fifth book in the Amra Thetys series, but realistically, it won't see publication in 2016 considering book 4's late release. I don't have a title yet, clever or otherwise, unless "The Thief Who Did Something" counts.

I've got two urban fantasies that I'd like to get out of my system, one set in Singapore and the other in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. They share Southeast Asia as a setting, so I might well put one out under a pen name. I'll let the market decide which I should turn into a series, if it comes to that.

I'll be publishing at least two Amra Thetys novelettes, and hopefully more, to fill in the long lag between books 1-3 re-release and book 4's release. The first is called "How To Make A Killing In Kirabor"and is set before Amra met Holgren, when she was still fairly new to Lucernis. The second will likely be a peek into Holgren's past, just to balance things out. Or if the writing gods smile, I might manage to write a little series of interconnected novelettes focusing on Amra's actual thieving exploits.

I've got a short story in the works set after the events of Amra 4, so I'd best say not much about it, other than that it follows the fates of a few minor characters from books 3 and 4. If you liked Keel, you'll probably like this story, though :D

I'm also committed to finishing a very different kind of fantasy tale this year, for personal reasons. It's called "All That Glitters." This one is a lot more intimate, and it goes back to fantasy's fairy tale roots as inspiration rather than sword & sorcery action/adventure. It's bittersweet.

I'm currently cleaning up the mess I made of the Sword Monk 2: Weaving Steel. I'll re-release that one when I am satisfied it won't embarrass me to do so. When I released it originally, I must have been out of my mind. I was definitely sleep deprived and emotionally low, but that's really no excuse. I'm fixing it, and I will prod Amazon to push the updated version to those kind souls who bought it the first time around.


If there's still some free time (ha!) I've got lots of other projects I could be getting on with. I've been threatening for years to write a sequel for Waste Land, my free sci fi story that does so well at the iBookstore. I've made several stabs at it, but haven't been satisfied. It's a difficult story. Maybe it just hasn't fully germinated in my subconscious yet.

And that, as they say, is enough to be getting on with for 2016.

3 comments:

Moonsmoker said...

Hello
I've read all your books and trying to purchase "The Thief Who Wasn't There" unfortunately, I can't. I've tried all websites to no avail. I even tried buying it in hard/paperback.
Can you suggest a way to appease my addiction?
I thank you in advance of any and all suggestions
Moonsmoker@comcast.net

Michael McClung said...

Hi Moonsmoker!

Well, it's a case of good news/bad news. Amra #4 will be released by Ragnarok Publications Septemberish this year. It's currently going through editing. So that's the bad news. The good news is I'm working on a couple of Amra novelettes to act as snack food while we all wait. Nobody is more anxious to see "The Thief Who Wasn't There" out there than I am!

Oh, and thanks very much for reading, I'm really happy you've enjoyed my scribbling so :)

Agnes Conway said...

Looking back through my Amazon orders, I can't see that Book Two of The Sword Monk Saga was ever available there, I'd have bought it if it was, as I bought Book One. I read it on Wattpad IIRC, and certainly didn't think it was the mess you describe. The start of the third part was very exciting, I'm on tenterhooks waiting for the rest of it. Also left hanging for the rest of Comes The Conqueror ;-)