Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the longest-running* yet least-read** blog on the internet! Here you'll find me writing about all the things that I write about, which strikes me, just now, as somewhat recursive. In any case, enjoy :)

* not true ** probably true

Friday, March 17, 2006

Lost in translation

Language, as much as I love it, is a flawed tool.

I don't know how to express how I feel. Not because I don't have the words, but because words are so clumsy, so... imprecise. It's not melancholy, or sadness, or angst. It's a general, pervasive longing for something. What, I have no idea.

The morning sun dribbles into my study at an oblique angle, and the dog lies on the floor, ears cocked to the neighborhood sounds, but otherwise is still as a statue. Tomorrow my son will be one year old. The curtain shifts in a fitful breeze. My body, ravaged by seven hours of non-nicotiene supply known as sleep, seems to be buzzing at right angles to the world. It feels as though my head is swivelling around on broken glass.

The world is a beautiful place, and I am happy to be here. But this longing, tinged with a species of dissatisfaction, is like a pebble in my shoe. It keeps distracting me. It ruins my focus.

I am longing for something besides a cigarette. I wish I knew what. If I did, perhaps I would be able to explain it. Or satisfy it.

1 comment:

Samsung said...

I know how you feel, in a way. I have a longing too, and I fill that longing with food, only to realize that no matter how much I eat, it's still there, gnawing at me, making me restless and tired.

Whatever it is, I hope it goes away soon because if not, I might be completely wacky.

Maybe a little soul searching is in order? They say that confessional writing is a process, a cleansing, and even if you can't find the exact words, you will eventually, you'll circle around the meaning, but you'll move in closer and closer each time until you have your "a-ha" moment.

Right? Right. Glad we agree.

Jae